A neonate is born with a bilateral cleft lip that was not detected during the pregnancy. The parents are distressed about the appearance of their infant. Which nursing actions are appropriate to assist the parents to bond with their newborn? Select all that apply.
1. Calling the newborn by the chosen name
2. Keeping the newborn’s lower face covered with the blanket
3. Smiling and talking to the newborn in the parents’ presence
4. Showing the parents before and after pictures of other children with cleft lips
5. Discussing positive features of the baby
The correct answer is 1,3,4,5